Here Have Some College Tips: Five Essentials for College
With summer now underway and high school seniors now graduated, it’s time to start thinking about what you will need for college. These are things that, from my first-year experience, I did not have enough of. Now, looking back, I feel like these are things that I really should have gotten more of.
- Hangers- I started off with plenty of hangers at the beginning of the semester, but once I came back from Christmas and going out around the hops around campus, I quickly had more clothes than I had hangers. It is apparently really easy to think that you will have enough of something when you aren’t accounting for the fact that you will probably buy more clothes, especially if you want to show some school spirit.
- Extra Storage Units- Speaking of clothes, those closets and dressers are not exactly spacious. For me, I was in a cold state, but I did not need my winter coat all year round, so I needed an extra place to put all of those sweaters and jackets while still keeping them for when I would need them. To fix this problem, I got one of those big trunks and just stuffed all my sweaters in there and shoved the trunk under my bed.
- A good quality hamper- Both my roommate and I broke at least one hamper just in our first semester. We both, thankfully, had an extra that we could use, but it could’ve been avoided if we had gotten one that wasn’t just five dollars from the family dollar. I’m not saying that you should buy the most expensive one possible, but at least find one that won’t break when you’re lugging around a bunch of clothes.
- This one isn’t really something that you should bring but save the plastic bags you get from when you go out shopping. They work super well as trash bags since the trashcan that I had in my dorm was pretty small. This way, if you ever forget to buy trash bags, you won’t have to worry about your trashcan getting dirty because I was required to clean out my trashcan before I moved out.
- Air freshener- I don’t really know that I need to say anything other than: lots of people who have probably been out partying doing questionable activities. The smells will get in sometimes.
It’s always a good idea to plan ahead. Also, buy this stuff ahead of time because school shops are more expensive, and it can sometimes be hard to get to a grocery store if you don’t have a car. Always be safe and have fun.
For More on College, College Planning and Tips, Check Out These Posts
Filed under: College
About Riley Jensen
Riley Jensen is a college student studying forensic chemistry. She likes to read books about murder and friendship because those go together really well.
SLJ Blog Network