Cindy Crushes Programming: Mermaid Hair Clips
Background: I have been observing how popular mermaids, unicorns and fantasy creatures are at my library. I did a fairy tale hair bow program last year and had a great crowd and so I thought I would do a mermaid hair clip. This is a cheap and simple craft. It only takes about half an hour.
- Hot Glue Guns and Glue
- Alligator Curl Clips
- Optional Ribbons
- Fake Pearls
- Pick out a seashell. There are many shapes and sizes of seashells to choose from. You can buy bulk orders of sea shells online from places like Amazon and other online vendors.
- Color with sharpie. I chose mermaid colors–blues, pinks and purples.
- Let the sharpie dry thoroughly before moving on to the next steps.
- Once dried, you can add embellishments. I used a leftover mermaid scale ribbon to attach to my seashell. I also added a plastic pearl as a focal piece.
- Hot glue the seashell to the hair clip. Make sure patrons know which side of the seashell they want to be viewable before they hot glue.
- Wait for it to dry and place in hair to make sure it works.
Final Thoughts: This was such a simple craft. If your teens love mermaids this is a must do. Let your teens take control of their creations. They will often make much better looking crafts than you make.
This would be a great program to do with the 2020 Summer Reading theme Imagine Your Story.
Filed under: Teen Porgramming
About Karen Jensen, MLS
Karen Jensen has been a Teen Services Librarian for almost 30 years. She created TLT in 2011 and is the co-editor of The Whole Library Handbook: Teen Services with Heather Booth (ALA Editions, 2014).
SLJ Blog Network