Cindy Crushes Programming: DIY Body Scrubs and Face Masks
Today, my co-worker Ariel Nelson joins me to talk about a program we hosted together. I had planned a body scrub program for adult and teens when Ariel came and asked if she could combine her facemask program with my body scrub program. I was really excited because Ariel is very knowledgeable about home beauty care products! She makes her own all the time. We both love to use Pinterest to find recipes! It was also nice to have two people running this program. We each did our own recipes in groups of ten and had the patrons switch stations.
- Containers for scrub and facemask to go in
- Magic Bullet
- Mixing bowls and spoons (make sure to get the right size)
- Mint Cucumber Scrub
- White Sugar
- Coconut Oil
- Plain Milk
- Rose Water
- Plain Yogurt
Cindy’s Cucumber Mint Body Scrub
Here are the directions:
You can find the original directions borrowed from Creations by Kara: https://www.creationsbykara.com/cucumber-mint-sugar-scrub/
- 4 Cucumber Slices
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 4 drops of Peppermint
1. Use the Magic Bullet to puree the 4 cucumbers slices
2. Pour in mixing bowl
3. Add 3/4 of a cup white sugar and mix
4. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix
5. Add four drops of peppermint and mix.
6. Poor into the plastic bag and it is ready to take home.
7. Please refrigerate until use because of the cucumbers.
Areil’s DIY Oatmeal Face Mask
- 3 teaspoons oats (slightly blended)
- 1 teaspoon of plain milk (warmed slightly)
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon plain yogurt
1. Mix oats with slightly warmed milk until the mixture forms a thick paste.
2. Add in rose water and yogurt to the mixture and stir until all the ingredients are uniform.
*As an alternative to using plain milk and plain yogurt, you can use 1-2 teaspoon(s) of raw honey instead: Mix oats, rosewater and honey together to form a paste*
1. Apply face mask to clean, slightly damp face and neck area
2. Leave facemask on for 15-30 minutes
3. Rinse facemask off with warm water
*Store your facemask in the fridge for up to 1 week if you plan to use it multiple times.
PRO TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN
1. Happy, healthy skin starts from the inside out. Make sure you are staying hydrated by drinking AT LEAST four 8-ounce glasses of water and follow a healthy, balanced diet.
2. Prior to face mask application, make sure that skin is cleansed thoroughly and wash your hands before applying mask.
3. The most hygienic way to apply a facemask is with an applicator: a bristle brush or a brush with a silicone wand.
4. After applying your facemask and cleansing your skin, moisturize your skin with a moisturizer formulated to your skin type.
Final Thoughts: We thought this program went really well. All the patrons were really happy and were excited to use their new skin care products. This is a more costly project but you can always look for sales and find cheaper recipes. This project would be less expensive for patrons to recreate at home.
More Programming Fun with Spa Themed Activities:
Filed under: Teen Programming
About Karen Jensen, MLS
Karen Jensen has been a Teen Services Librarian for almost 30 years. She created TLT in 2011 and is the co-editor of The Whole Library Handbook: Teen Services with Heather Booth (ALA Editions, 2014).
SLJ Blog Network