YA A to Z: Top 10 CHARMING Characters in YA, a guest post by author Amber Hart
Here we are in Febrauary, so we’re on the letters C and D for the YA A to Z project. Today, author Amber Hart is sharing some charming characters from YA with us.
The 2018 TLT Project: YA A to Z
My favorite characters in YA often have the type of personality that leaps off the pages, as though I might reach out and touch them sitting next to me. In my new novel, Wicked Charm, both of the main characters—Willow and Beau—have their share of allure. Set in the deep swamp against the background of murky water like triple steeped tea, the blazing sun, and a forever sky, Willow, a feisty new girl, and Beau, a boy who may or may not be a lair, must team up to stop the murders happening in their small town, unless the killer is closer than anyone realizes. I hope you’ll give them a read. Here are some of my other favorite charmers in YA.
- Rhysand from A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas. He is guarded, fearless, and loyal. There are no lengths he wouldn’t go for the people he cares about, even breaking down all of his internal defenses for the girl he loves.
- Puck from The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. Funny, sarcastic, and always getting into trouble, he is entertaining and smooth and so easy to fall for.
- Willowdean from Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy. Incredibly relatable, she is the embodiment of owning who you are. She does everything big, hilarious, and real. No one can escape the pull of her charisma, not that they’d want to, anyway.
- Elias from An Ember in the Ashes by SabaaTahir. Even in the wickedest of environments, with nearly no mercy to be seen, Elias holds true to his heart. He never loses who he is.
- Jase from My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. He is sweet and comfortable, like slipping into a favorite sweatshirt. With him, nothing is impossible and dreams are what you make them.
- Vika from The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Sky. She is enchanting, fascinating, and goes after what she wants. A girl with a goal that no one can stop her from achieving.
- Daemon from Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Misunderstood and seen as guarded, he actually protects his family and friends, even though he can be maddening in the very best of ways.
- Cadence from We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Her character is passionate and damaged, drawing the reader in until there is no chance of letting go.
- Will from Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Charming, brooding, and hard to read, he doesn’t always say the truth at first, as infuriating as that can be. But for as razor-edged as he seems on the outside, there’s something smoother inside.
- Quentin from Paper Towns by John Green. With a voice that begs attention, he’s adventurous, free, and loyal—the type of character that lingers long after the last page.
Thanks for so much having me, and for allowing me to introduce you to some of my favorite characters, as well as my new novel, Wicked Charm!
About Wicked Charm:
Nothing good comes from living in the Devil’s swamp.
Willow Bell thinks moving to the Okefenokee area isn’t half bad, but nothing prepares her for what awaits in the shadows of the bog.
Girls are showing up dead in the swamp. And she could be next.
Everyone warns Willow to stay away from Beau Cadwell—the bad boy at the top of their suspect list as the serial killer tormenting the small town.
But beneath his wicked, depthless eyes, there’s something else that draws Willow to him.
When yet another girl he knew dies, though, Willow questions whether she can trust her instincts…or if they’re leading to her own death.
About Amber Hart:
Amber Hart resides on the Florida coastline with family and a plethora of animals she affectionately refers to as her urban farm. When unable to find a book, she can be found writing, daydreaming, or with her toes in the sand. She’s the author of several novels for teens and adults, including Wicked Charm, the Before & After series, and the Untamed series. Rep’d by Stacey Donaghy of Donaghy Literary Group.
Author Website: www.amberhartbooks.com
Author Twitter: www.twitter.com/AmberHartBooks
Author Facebook: www.facebook.com/AuthorAmberHart
Author Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/AmberHart
Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bookshelf_love_/
Author Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.ca/AmbersShelf/
Filed under: #YAAtoZ
About Karen Jensen, MLS
Karen Jensen has been a Teen Services Librarian for almost 30 years. She created TLT in 2011 and is the co-editor of The Whole Library Handbook: Teen Services with Heather Booth (ALA Editions, 2014).
SLJ Blog Network
Watch The Yarn LIVE with Kate DiCamillo at ALA!
Heists, Celebrity, and Mystery: An Interview with Nicholas Day About The Mona Lisa Vanishes
Teen Titans | Series Review
“Enough with the chicken noises.” A guest post by Sean Ferrell
The Classroom Bookshelf is Moving