What’s Your Library’s Policy on Self Published Titles?
I just threw a question out to Twitter, but now I am really curious and want to know:
What is your library’s policy about self published titles? Do you have one?
Please take a few moments and answer these questions in the comments:
1) What type of library do you work at?
2) Does your collection development policy address the growing self published title market? How?
3) Does you library accept donations of self published titles? Why or why not? Are there any parameters for this?
4) What do you feel is the overall view in the library world about self published titles?
5) What are the issues – outside of the perception of quality – that your library would face in acquiring and cataloging self published titles in your collection?
And finally, do you feel that libraries will have to address self published titles differently in the future?
Filed under: Collection Development, Libraries, Self Published
About Karen Jensen, MLS
Karen Jensen has been a Teen Services Librarian for almost 30 years. She created TLT in 2011 and is the co-editor of The Whole Library Handbook: Teen Services with Heather Booth (ALA Editions, 2014).
SLJ Blog Network
BLUE FLOATS AWAY Turns Two!
Faced with a Parenting Dilemma? Write a Book About It! Jacob Grant Comes By to Talk About NO FAIR
Pardalita | Preview
Write What You Know, a guest post by MADE OF STARS author Jenna Voris
The Classroom Bookshelf is Moving